Landscaping: The View into Your Home
The landscaping around your home is one of the first things people notice. You want to ensure it looks great, and it doesn’t take a lot of money or time to ensure that it does. Minor, inexpensive upgrades can significantly boost curb appeal and increase your home’s value- putting money in your pocket.
Of course, DIY’ing it is the way to go when you’re looking to save money. Keep reading to discover quick landscaping DIY ideas for less than $1,000.
Refreshing Your Front Yard
The front yard is the lens into your home. You want to ensure it’s inviting and clean, and making it as such isn’t a challenging task. To give a minor refresh or makeover, consider adding:
- Low-maintenance shrubs and flowers. Check which plants are native to your location to ensure they thrive in your climate. A few low-maintenance and colorful ideas include knockout roses and ornamental grasses.
- A great trim and edge. This quick and easy way to make your yard look clean gives a great first impression.
- New house numbers. While not necessarily landscaping, it’s another excellent way to modernize and update your home. While you’re at it, consider a fresh coat of paint on the front door. These kinds of small updates can tie your whole look together.
- Window planters. These boxes are simple to install, cheap, and can be purchased at your neighborhood hardware store. Choose colorful annuals, be sure to water regularly, and fertilize every few weeks for maximum impact.
- Clean up and clear out. If you have overgrown, dead, or dying plants, one of the easiest things to do for efficient landscaping is clean them out. Of course, ensuring you have the right tools for the job is the first step. Rakes, edgers, clippers, and weed eaters can be purchased (or borrowed from friends!) relatively inexpensively at a local hardware store.
Don’t Neglect the Backyard
The front yard is the first look people have at your home, but the backyard is also important because that’s where you — or a new buyer — will spend time. It’s often the last impression, and one of the most memorable, people will have of your home. Here are some quick and inexpensive additions and changes to your backyard to make it the best hangout spot on the block:
- Add a firepit. Firstly, check local regulations regarding fire elements, and once you’re in the clear, get to planning. You’ll want it close enough to your home that it won’t be a burden to use but far enough away that it’s safe. Adding some chairs and side tables will make it the perfect place to roast marshmallows with the family.
- Conceal your A/C Unit. Adding plants or screens surrounding the unit can cover an eyesore and add some value. The most important thing to remember is not to plant or build anything too close to the unit to obstruct the airflow. A lattice is an excellent option for relatively free airflow and can be personalized with ivy or other vining plants.
- Add a water feature. This one can be beautiful in the front yard as well. A bird bath or fountain can be a lovely touch and one that all family members can enjoy. When considering placement, choose a location close to an outlet and where it can be enjoyed from several vantage points. Also, consider that a sunnier spot will cause the water to evaporate more frequently than a shadier spot.
Check Your Home’s Value with Counts Real Estate Group
After you’ve put in the sweat equity on your home’s landscaping projects, the experts at Counts Real Estate Group can help you see your home’s new value. Whether you are looking for an investment property, a vacation home, or to relocate to the Northwest Florida Panhandle, our knowledgeable team has years of experience helping families, professionals, and retirees find their dream homes. Find an agent online or call us at (850) 249-3615.